Sunday 1 September 2013

S5.181 - Bar Code

<- PREV              INDEX

It was days later. Cosecant still felt sick to her stomach. She wandered out of her hotel room - the Hilbert Hotel, of all places! - and onto the balcony, staring out at the city. From this vantage point, Fractal City was actually very pretty, and no longer so confusing; the fractals had resolved themselves into a scene that her mind was able to grasp. Admittedly, with some gaps, and her image that was slightly different from the one that Radik saw. If her conversation with him yesterday was to be believed, at any rate.

Csc's gaze moved left. The barrier around the place where Sine had disappeared was gone. They had hurried into it as soon as it had became possible. There had been no body, only Sine's period cane, warped and broken, left on the ground. It felt like evidence enough; Cosecant wasn't inclined to cling to any faint hopes after that.


PERIOD: FULL STOP.

So she had participated in their group's little memorial service, held back at the gazebo, and then remained in her hotel room ever since. Though that was about to change.

There was a knock at the door to her room. "Come in," Csc called out, stepping back off the balcony.

Logan swung the door open. "Hey. Joining me?"

"I guess." The reciprocal trig pinched the bridge of her nose. "Except Julia's only letting you bring one other person along, right? So why me?"

"You have to ask that?"

A pause. "Yeah, I think I do. Because if Sine were alive, you'd be bringing her."


Logan leaned back against the doorframe, crossing his arms. "Maybe, maybe not. You're not just some trigonometric replacement here, you're my chief of security. Plus, we're in such unfamiliar territory that I figured I should take someone who is observant, yet who has the ability to stay focussed. That's either you or ParaB, and she's been too busy consoling QT."

Cosecant's eye twitched. "Consoling."

Logan rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah. Starting to wonder about those two. Regardless, I return to my original question - you joining me?"

Csc let out a breath of air. "Yeah." She adjusted her tie. "The meeting is in a bar right? Do I look overdressed? Because, well, all my clothes look like this, so we might have a problem there."

"I'm sure you look fine," Logan said dismissively. He pushed himself away from the frame and moved into the hall. "Besides, it's not like I know any more about it. The only thing Julia told me is that we'll be seeing our statistics contact there. Oh, and that the Overline bar is run by some guy named Vicsek Fontaine."


<— PREVIOUS INDEX 5 NEXT —>

No comments:

Post a Comment